Saturday, May 05, 2012

Fancy Catered Art Openings - Do They Translate Into Sales

This week I went to a very fancy art opening.  It had everything going for it, nice art, great food, ample free wine and a very personable artist who mingled and made everyone feel very welcome.  It was a very professionally done event. The turnout was pretty good too although I was there quite early and didn't see the crowds who may have turned up later, but what I am wondering is did all this translate into good sales. I noticed that many of the people seemed to be more intent on the food and socializing than in really looking at the art. 

So can food and wine be a distraction to art sales?    I know people buy art from artists they like and perceive to be successful but is an expensive opening really neccessary?  I would love to hear about your experiences.

1 comment:

Eva said...

My only experience with my own openings were some sales at the opening, but then more came back later and bought. I guess it's the price you pay to been seen. More people will come to an opening quicker than just coming to a gallery without one.Plus the energy of the crowd helps.

Related Posts with Thumbnails