Friday, May 18, 2012

Quirky Fun Collagraphs of 1920's Ladies

© Susanne Clark  - The Ladies
Collagraph - Varied Open Edition
Some time back I created "The Ladies" a Collagraph showing two women with a 1920's look.  I wrote about them in a post called "I'm in Flap About Flappers".    The name "Flappers," I believe, comes from the popular fashion of the time of wearing floppy bows around the head.

People often think these are paintings but Collagraph is a form of hand pulled printmaking based on collage.  You can  read about the process on my web site. Each print is hand inked and printed on a printing press  Even though I can use the same plate to pull many prints from, each one is inked in a different set of colours and so is a unique work of art.

After creating "The Ladies" I decided it would be fun to do a few more in the same theme so I went ahead and made the collagraph plates ready for printing.  In the previous post I hadn't actually printed the new works but since then I have, and also added more "Ladies" to the series. Because the ladies are only very loosely based on the 1920's style I have been able to have fun with their design, making them look slightly  sexy and with exaggerated bows and hats.  The first prints I pulled all sold so this week I printed up some new ones and I'm quite pleased with the result.  I will be exhibiting them at several art shows around Toronto in the next few months.  Details are on my web site.
© Susanne Clark  - Fancy Flappers
 Collagraph - Varied Open Edition
My intention is to add more photos of "The Ladies" to my web site along with the current pieces that I have available from the Kimono Series.

Please share this post, or any others you find interesting, with your friends or people you think would be interested.  As an artist I really appreciate any help in getting my work out into the world.

4 comments:

Kathleen Krucoff said...

I'm glad you have decided to add more ladies to this series. They are so charming and I think you've capture the spirit of the era very well!

Susanne said...

Thanks Kathleen. I've enjoyed doing them. I don't know where these creative inspirations come from but they often lead me off on a tangent to do fun decorative pieces rather than serious art.

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

THey all have attitude! Nice work, Suzanne. And yes, I'm sharing! :)

Susanne said...

Thanks Deborah. I had fun getting the look with a slight sexy feel. Thank you too for sharing. I really appreciate it. I have been looking at your latest silk painting. As usual it is really beautiful! People in your area are so lucky to have a silk painting teacher that is so accomplished.

Related Posts with Thumbnails