Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Ultimate Act of Creation

The night before last was one of those very special times in a life.  I was witness to my second grandchilds birth.  Even when I had my own three children I was astounded by the magic and mystery of birth but to have the privilige of seeing both my grandchildren enter into this world has been both emotionally moving and mindblowing. 

The labour was very fast.  One moment it seemed my daughter in law had this very large round tummy and then the baby started to move down and out. Before very long the head was partly there, poised for a moment in time....she called out and breathed and the head completely emerged.  We waited again.....a bit of help and whoosh....... the air was suddenly, and almost shockingly, filled with loud wails.  We didn't even have time to think "Will it breathe and cry".

I think with our modern technology and capable medical care that we are divorced from the realities of life.  We no longer see birth and death.  It's hidden away in hospitals.  What I was lucky enough to see that night was the emergence of a new life in all it's fullness and beauty and I was stunned by the amazing creativity and intelligence of the universe. Surely this is the ultimate act of creation.  My artistic attempts seem pale in comparison.


6 comments:

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

Congrats Susanne! How wonderful that you were able to witness it. Truly a miracle. I hope mother and baby are doing well.

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Congrats Susanne. So very happy for you & your family. Thank you for the wonderful description. Makes me feel ever so humble.

Susanne said...

Thanks Kathleen and Deborah for your congrats. It was such an amazing experience that I just had to write about it.

Art and Life said...

Congratulations to All! A beautiful little sister for Morgandy and a wonderful addition to your expanding family.

Eva said...

Congratulations Susanne!Not sure I would be brave enough to witness a birth, but as a mother of 3 boys,I know how miraculous it is.

Figurative Art said...

What a wonderful experience! Congratulations to all of you. Keep us posted with pictures! Nancy

Related Posts with Thumbnails